Not Your Father’s NASA
Obama’s proposed budgetary shake-up of NASA makes a lot of sense to me, especially the part about relying more on commercially built rockets. At this point, given the space shuttle’s checkered history, I trust Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Elon Musk much more than NASA to build a safe vehicle for manned space flight.
[The] proposal seeks to cancel the Ares I rocket, in development for four years as a replacement to the space shuttles. More unexpected, the request also would kill Orion, the crew capsule that was to sit atop the Ares I. The Orion is the only spacecraft in development that would be capable of traveling beyond low Earth orbit…
The Obama budget proposes spending $18 billion over five years for development of technologies like fuel stations in orbit, new types of engines to accelerate spacecraft through space and robotic factories that could churn soil on the moon — and eventually Mars — into rocket fuel.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Good Night Moon (trueslant.com)
- Obama ends moon program, endorses private spaceflight (news.cnet.com)
- NASA: Good Night Moon, Hello New Rocket Technology (usnews.com)
- Project Savior’s Temper Tantrum Tuesday: The Death of NASA (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- Obama to privatize NASA launches, end moon mission (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- NASA dims lights for Constellation program (photos) (news.cnet.com)
- Obama to revise US space vision (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Panel Says Planned NASA Rocket Won’t Do the Job (usnews.com)
- Obama Plan Privatizes Astronaut Launchings (nytimes.com)
- Nasa forced to hire private ‘space taxis’ by White House (telegraph.co.uk)